Our stove is a kitchen workhorse, especially when entertaining or getting a quick dinner on the table. So much so that we often can’t clean it properly until stains and spills have sat until after dinner is through. We’ll review how to clean a GE cooktop so that glass cooktops retain their shine without a scratch. We’ll also discuss how to properly clean a GE gas stove top without damaging the burners.
Spills, Stains and Splashes? Here’s How to Clean a GE Cooktop Safely
By the time dinner ends spills and splashes have crusted over and may require some significant scrubbing, possibly damaging a glass top range. Our glass cooktop cleaning tips will keep your range scratch-free while our tips for a gas range preserve the burners. Plus, they’ll help get you out of the kitchen quickly.
What Causes Cooktops to Get Dirty?
Before we discuss how to clean a GE cooktop, it’s helpful to review how it can get so dirty. Typically, there are at least a few small spills and stains that occur when cooking a meal. Whether you drop a piece of food, splatter grease or splash sauce or boiling water, spills are bound to occur.
But in addition to making a mess, these stains and spills can damage gas burners if not addressed. Food particles or liquids can damage the burner igniter or buildup around the ignition system and your gas range burner won’t light. And while stains and spills themselves won’t harm a glass stovetop, scrubbing them too vigorously could leave the surface scratched or chipped.
How to Clean a GE Glass Cooktop
Our GE glass top stove self cleaning instructions include a step-by-step guide that shows you how to clean a glass stovetop without streaks or scratches:
Cleaning After Each Use:
- Once the stove has cooled, spray a small amount of the GE glass cooktop cleaner for touchups on the stovetop. This is included in the cleaning kit that’s recommended in your owner’s manual.
- Wipe away the spray with the cleaning pad in your glass cooktop cleaning kit or a paper towel.
For Heavy Stains:
- Apply a small amount of your kit’s cooktop cleaner directly on the stain.
- Rub the cleaner firmly into the stain with the cleaning pad or paper towel, adding more cleaner if necessary.
- For the heaviest spills, first use the scraper from your cleaning kit. Holding the scraper at a 45-degree angle, scrape away the spill until its removed, following up with the cooktop cleaner.
- Buff the stovetop dry with a dry cleaning pad or paper towel
How to Clean a GE Gas Stovetop
While not as easily scratched as glass, knowing how to clean a GE cooktop for a gas stove will properly protect the burners. We suggest these easy steps to clean a gas cooktop of heavy, burned on stains:
- Soak grates and burner caps in a solution of dish soap and hot water, scrubbing with a non-metallic scouring pad.
- Place grates and burners in a basin or bag with ¼ cup ammonia. Allow to sit for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Rinse thoroughly in warm water and dry completely with a clean cloth before replacing
GE Glass Stovetop Maintenance Tips
To properly maintain a GE glass cooktop and avoid cleaning old, caked-on spills, we recommend these tips:
- Clean up spills as quickly as possible to avoid scraping and scrubbing
- Polish regularly with a glass cooktop cleaner
- Lift heavy cookware as opposed to dragging to avoid scratching
As Lancaster’s premier cooktop and range repair service, Oak Valley Appliance can answer how to clean a GE cooktop and all your appliance concerns. Give us a call today!