When your Frigidaire dishwasher doesn’t start and you’re elbow-deep in a sink with dirty dishes, you know it’s time to start troubleshooting. But where do you begin to figure out what went wrong? We’ll provide some helpful starting points for a Frigidaire dishwasher not starting from a power supply issue to a broken door latch.
Troubleshooting a Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Starting: A Step-By-Step Guide
When an appliance doesn’t even start we often jump to the conclusion that there’s a serious malfunction. But our guide illustrates that there are often some simple common causes when you’re Frigidaire dishwasher isn’t working. We’ll also summarize with step-by-step instructions for quick Frigidaire dishwasher troubleshooting.
Power Supply Problem
Sometimes a Frigidaire dishwasher not starting isn’t a dishwasher problem but a power supply issue. We suggest performing these simple checks to first rule out any problems with your power source:
- Make sure your dishwasher is properly plugged in to an electrical outlet. Avoid using extension cords to power your dishwasher, as most can’t safely accommodate the voltage required.
- Double-check that the power switch to your dishwasher is turned on, checking beneath the sink if necessary.
- Confirm that the dishwasher’s circuit breaker is in the proper position
Water Supply Issues
If your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t start but has power, sometimes a water supply issue may be the cause. These quick inspections can help rule out any problems with your water source:
- Make sure the water supply valve is turned on. If the valve is stuck it may need to be replaced
- Check the water inlet hoses to make sure there are no kinks or damage. Damaged hoses will require replacement.
- Test your water pressure with a water pressure gauge. If the reading is below 30psi, refrain from running the shower or washing machine to see if the pressure rises.
Incorrect Dishwasher Settings
Did you know that forgetting to select a cycle or selecting the wrong one can result in a Frigidaire dishwasher not starting? These tips can avoid the problem of incorrect dishwasher settings:
- Double-check that you have selected a cycle, pressing START after doing so.
- Check the code on your display panel. Some dishwasher models have a delayed start option or child lock setting that prevents it from turning on immediately. If your display panel shows these settings are activated, press CANCEL before starting the correct cycle.
- If the touchpad or control panel gets wet it could cause damage that disrupts communication with your dishwasher. A professional service can help assess this problem and provide any necessary replacement parts.
Dishwasher Not Latched
A final cause for a Frigidaire dishwasher that won’t start could be a broken door latch. This latch secures the dishwasher door to prevent leaks and must be engaged for a wash cycle to start. Make sure the door is closed all the way and the latch is secured. If the latch won’t engage and appears faulty, it will need to be replaced.
Troubleshooting a Broken Frigidaire Dishwasher
This quick troubleshooting guide takes you through some easy steps to determine the above issues and solve the problem:
- Check your circuit breaker and power connection to make sure the dishwasher is receiving power.
- Make sure the water supply is on and providing adequate pressure.
- Double-check your settings to make sure the delayed start and child lock features are inactivated.
- Always close the door immediately after selecting a cycle. A delay in closing the door could require you to repeat your selection.
- Adding a forgotten item mid-cycle could also require you to restart a cycle.
- Make sure the dishwasher door is properly closed.
As the best local dishwasher service, Oak Valley Appliance can help repair a Frigidaire dishwasher not starting and provide other helpful hints. From the right way to load a dishwasher to finding the best dishwasher cleaning tips we have your expert advice!